Did you know that falls are the #1 cause of injuries and accidental deaths among those who are 65 and older? This startling fact is unfortunate, and sadly, most of these falls are PREVENTABLE.
Advanced Foot Care Centers provides and supports education to help you make small changes that can keep you safe. Make sure you schedule an appointment in our St. Elmo office with Dr. Wilkins today by calling (423) 702 – 6453.
Tomorrow, Tuesday September 23, 2014 just so happens to be the 7th annual National Falls Prevention Awareness day, so check to see if your community is involved with this cause.
Here are some tips that can help you prevent falls:
- Stay active! Whether you take a long walk around the block or go to a yoga class, exercise helps you keep up your strength and helps you maintain your balance.
- Put a rubber backed bathroom rug outside of your bath or shower. The rubber will keep the rug from bunching up and sliding around. The rug will soak up water to prevent slipping.
- Unclutter walkways in your home. Arrange furniture in a way that increases the space you need to walk.
- Never use towel bars, toilet paper dispensers, purse hooks, or the sink or tub to help you stand up. Items like these can be slippery and/or pulled out of the wall with the pressure from your body weight.
- Know your limits and don’t try to do tasks that you can’t easily complete.
- Keep regular appointments with our podiatrist, Dr. Wilkins, to make sure your feet are healthy and strong. Injuries to the feet and ankles can cause tearing or stretching of ligaments and tendons as well as broken or fractured bones. Old injuries can flare up later in life and cause falls, pain, and weakness. Call Advanced Foot Care Centers in Chattanooga at (423) 702 – 6453 to schedule your appointment.
By: Dr. Kimberly Wilkins
3742 Tennessee Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37409