Winter weather is tough on your skin. The colder temperatures, decreased humidity, wind, and central heating all contribute to drying and cracking of your skin. Your feet are no exception, and are an important area to take care of to prevent cracking and pain; especially for diabetics.
Here are 6 tips to keep your feet happy this winter:
1. Treat your feet to a bath. Take a basin and fill it with lukewarm water. Add a few drops of essential oils to moisturize and to personalize your footbath.
- Rosemary Oil helps warm your feet, and improves circulation
- Tea Tree Oil is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, and may help fungal infections
- Peppermint Oil can soothe aching, tired feet.
2. Use a pumice stone to remove dead skin from your feet. After soaking your feet in the bath for 5 – 10 minutes, gently smooth rough areas on your feet such as your heels. http://www.ourdoctorstore.com/Kraus/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=727&DEPARTMENT_ID=54
3. Use a foot scrub. After pumicing your feet, use a gentle foot scrub and massage your feet with it. http://www.ourdoctorstore.com/Kraus/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=763&DEPARTMENT_ID=54
4. Use a moisturizer. Make sure you dry your feet thoroughly, especially between your toes. Then apply a moisturizer. http://www.ourdoctorstore.com/Kraus/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=993&DEPARTMENT_ID=54
5. Keep your nails looking nice! Trim your toenails straight across, even with the ends of your toes.
You can also find kits that have all of the above items to make it easy on you. Advanced Foot Care Centers has 4 Tennessee locations and 2 Georgia locations. Schedule your appointment today by calling (423) 698 – 1966. Remember, we are close to wherever you are.
By: Ira Kraus